Let's start with
Monday, and go from there. In fact, I'll
post each day as it happens this week, and you can read up on the day of the
week that I'll be finishing as you begin it!
Monday
Monday
| It's funny how much what each person in this picture is doing describes who they are. 1급B반! |
9:00am
- 1:00pm Korean Language Class
I
will post a whole post about this, I promise.
For understanding the schedule, though, you should know we have three
different teachers that rotate, each teaching
us for two hours at a time. The
three subjects are Listening & Speaking, Writing & Grammar, and Reading
& Pronunciation. Typically we'll
have homework from each of these two out of three times that we have them, plus
general studying that should happen (but often doesn't have time to). Today it's Listening & Speaking followed
by Writing & Grammar.
1:00pm
- 2:30pm Lunch/Plan for Children's Center
2:45pm
- 3:30pm Ride the Bus to Work
The bus system here in Daejeon is very
nice, you can get pretty much anywhere in the city for about $1.10 (1,100원). The key is that
you pay when you get on the bus, usually by scanning your Tmoney card, but if
you need to transfer buses or even to the subway, you can scan your card again
on the way out and you won't get charged again for the next bus.
3:40pm - 4:50pm English class with
Elementary Students at 새움 Children's Center
This
is my job, it will also get its own post later.
These kids are hilarious and fun to play with, but teaching them English
is not always as easy as I'd like. It
turns out that as a physics major, I don't really know how to teach English as
a second language to Korean 2nd graders, who knew? But I'm figuring it out, and I think I will
improve at teaching it and making it interesting, and they will improve at
learning it!
5:00pm
- 5:30pm Dinner
![]() |
| An odd combo I don't think you'd find anywhere else... |
I'm
really appreciating the food at my children's center! It's been delicious every time so far. Except for the occasional small scoop of
anchovies, I'm happy to have a free meal twice a week. They even have french fries from time to
time!
5:32pm
- 5:50pm Music Practice/Lessons
As
I may have mentioned before, Korean children are all encouraged to play an
instrument. During this time, we all
head up stairs, grab the instrument of choice, and practice it. This sometimes means practicing songs, but
just as often is just fiddling around time.
I probably should take this time to practice piano (does Paul read this
blog?), but lately I've been grabbing a guitar and learning from the other kids
where to put my fingers for the chords.
5:55pm
- 7:10pm Teach/Entertain the Middle School
Students
This
is the time I should be teaching the middle school students their English
sentence patterns, and I try. But, as
you can see, I have to do it for more than an hour. Those of you who teach or have taught middle
school students know how difficult this is.
Now imagine that they don't really want to learn what you're teaching
(not too difficult to picture), and you can only understand little bits of
anything they say in their native tongue.
So we end up playing a lot of games and having fun together, I'll figure
them out eventually!
8:00pm
- 12:00am Rest/Study/Do homework/Plan for
tomorrow/Process the day
This
time may look like four whole hours, but it sure feels like about thirty
minutes. And that 12am finish time is
not really very common…
Stay tuned for
Tuesday's fun tomorrow!

Hey Thomas, I really enjoyed this blog post and will look forward to tomorrow's. Thanks for including so many details. :-) Zoe
ReplyDeleteYou got it, Zoe! I know this is from a million years ago, but I'm gonna start replying to all comments!
DeleteTmoney -- love the name of that card. Probably because it reminds of Testimony, which would then remind me of Adam, and that's how it comes back to you.
ReplyDeleteOh how my brain wanders...or wonders...
Haha, nice, I need to hang out with you guys again sometime!
Deleteanother interesting post on all that ya'll are doing--Thanks-- love you and keep you in my prayers--GG
ReplyDelete